Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Are You Mom Enough?

Yes, I am mom enough.


I am mom enough to make whatever decision is right for my family at any given moment.

I am mom enough to choose to breastfeed for as long as possible.

I am mom enough to let my child wean at 15 months before I was ready.

I am mom enough to work and go to school and raise a child.

But you know what? I am also mom enough to tell you to fuck off when you start judging another mom.

I am mom enough to support the mom that chooses to breast feed.

I am mom enough support the mom that chooses not to breast feed.

I am mom enough to tell any mother that is struggling that she is doing a fantastic job when people are putting her down all the time for making the decisions that she thinks are best.

And I am mom enough to defend ANY mother’s right to choose whatever works for her.

When we ask questions like “Are you mom enough?” we start alienating other moms. We just created an “us verses them” mentality and honestly, I’m sick of it. No one will ever make the exact same choices that you do and if they did we would all be extremely boring and never get anything done.

This is all I’m going to say about the bullshit that Time magazine has incited with their recent cover because I think that they are morally objectionable for running an article with that kind of headline. But next time you find yourself judging another parent for their decisions, please step back and question your own. Are you perfect all the time? No? I’m shocked.

Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment