Thursday, July 22, 2010

Aren't You Scared You'll Hurt the Baby?!?

Erm...no. This is the question I get pretty much anytime I talk about co-sleeping with my son. Most recently my grandpa asked about the baby's bed. I told him that they baby's bed was my bed. And then I got the look, the one that says "OH MY GOD! YOU'RE GONNA KILL HIM!" No one ever actually says this, but you know they are thinking it.

I'm cool with them being concerned with a child's safety, but I am not going to hurt him. Co-sleeping is totally safe as long as the parents are not under the influence of anything, too tired to wake up easily, and as long as the people in the bed know that the baby is in the bed. I also firmly believe that before a mother decides to co-sleep she should also decide to breastfeed. There is a different kind of bond between a breastfeeding mom and her baby. The mother's body is more in tune with the child and pretty much knows when the baby is in close proximity.

There are a lot of benefits to co-sleeping. It helps establish an even stronger bond, the baby tends to sleep more soundly, and you don't have to get up to feed the baby in the middle of the night. That last one is most certainly my favorite. Most of the time Peanut latches on by himself without even waking me up.

Having said all this, I would never sleep with the baby in my bed if I had been drinking, taking any kind of drug that would inhibit me, or if I were so exhausted that it would put him at risk. Co-sleeping is a lifestyle choice and all factors need to be included when deciding what sleeping arrangement works best for you.

I know this is a pretty controversial topic, and I am sorry if you do not agree with my parenting style. I want you all to know that I am by no means judging your choices as a parent. You have to do what is right for you and your family.

*Side note - if you read my blog, could you please make a google account and become a follower? I like knowing who reads this stuff. Thanks guys!

1 comment:

  1. ha that's crazy your grandfather questioned co-sleeping!

    all my OLDER relatives tell fond memories of their "family" beds

    up until like the last 2 or 3 generations ago co sleeping was so normal

    i'm sad i didn't co sleep with my son, he wasn't too into it :( maybe it'll work with the new one!

    i don't get why people look at it like its a bad thing now :/

    ReplyDelete