Friday, October 14, 2011
Things I Know Friday: Piercings!
It’s that time of week again; the time when I tell you all the random shit that I know. Today I’m going to talk about something that I really do know a lot about: body piercings. In my life time I have had about 20 piercings, I’m not going to tell you what they are or which ones I still have, that might be too much information.
So here is what I know:
- Find a piercer that you trust and feel comfortable with. If you trust someone enough to let them poke a hole in your body, you should also trust them enough to follow their care instructions.
- Do a little bit of research before you get your piercing. It is nice to know what to expect and how the procedure will go.
- Find out if your state requires licensing for piercers and make sure that if it does, your piercer is licensed.
- For the love of god do not be under the influence of anything when you get it done. Body modifications should be done with a clear mind and sober body.
- Eat something before you go; a piercing can be a big shock to your body so it’s helpful to not be woozy from lack of food.
- Take deep breaths and stay as calm as possibly. A good piercer should walk you through the process and tell you what they are doing as they do it.
- After you get your piercing take good care of it. Don’t change the jewelry unless you need to and in that case, go back to your piercer. Keep it clean and if it needs to be covered, keep it covered.
- When you clean your piercings using harsh cleansers can tear up the healing tissues. Don’t use things like alcohol, peroxide, or wound cleansers. I always use foaming antibacterial soap once a day and sea salt soaks several times a day on new piercings.
- Pay close attention to your piercings for signs or rejection or infection.
I’m hoping that this was somewhat helpful to someone. I’m thinking about writing more about body modifications on here, since it’s something I’m super interested in.