Thursday, May 27, 2010

Postpartum Depression

When you have a new baby you expect to fall madly in love and be happier than you have ever been before. But sometimes it just doesn't happen like that; you are happy to finally have your baby, but you realize that something is very wrong. You might feel depressed, sad, scared, anxious, maybe you can't eat, or stop eating. It's hard and you are pretty sure there is something very wrong with you; you feel crazy. It's called Postpartum Depression and it really, really sucks.

We were pretty sure that I would have at least some issues with PPD. I have fought depression and anxiety for years so we were on the look out and I was paying very close attention to my emotions. Well about 4 days after we came home from the hospital I realized that I was not ok, even remotely. I was scared to leave house because I was so anxious. I couldn't stand anyone besides my family and Will to touch the baby without having a panic attack. I had crying spells that lasted for hours. I needed help.

So I called my doctor and we decided that the best course of action was to put me on a low dose of Zoloft like I was a couple years ago. Within 3 days I was feeling better and sleeping well at night.

There is something I want to say about PPD and depression in general. It is nothing to be ashamed of. It took me a long time to learn that. Depression is an illness and no one would judge you for having a cold and needing medicine so no one should judge you for needing medicine to deal with this illness. It's ok to ask for help and you will feel better if you do. So please, if you are a mom out there suffering from PPD or any kind of depression, get help. you may not even need medication, it just depends.

Peace (I'm trying to think of something to use to end all of my posts....)

4 comments:

  1. I had PPD. It sucked. It sounds like you have a good support system and a doctor willing to help you tackle it right away though, so that's a huge first step.

    Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! It will get better. What a wonderful thing for you to do, to post about this on your blog so that you can help others. Your little one is so lucky to have you for mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing your story! I suffered from ppd as well and wish I had gotten on meds as quickly as you did. I'll be thinking of you and hoping for this to resolve quickly.

    Also, I do a weekly round-up at my blog highlighting blogs dealing with ppd and similar illnesses. I'm highlighting your story this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog on Beautiful Mama's weekly round up. I had a baby in Feb of this year and am still dealing with PPD/Anxiety. It is scary. Your attitude and outlook on how you are dealing with it is wonderful! Hang in there, you are not alone. Julie

    ReplyDelete