Monday, September 13, 2010

Formula

I love breastfeeding, there is no secret there, and I think everyone should give it a shot, but if a woman does not decide to try, that's ok too.

It is a very personal choice to breastfeed and some people are not comfortable with it. I know, it's all society's fault, I agree. But if a woman doesn't want to breastfeed, she doesn't want to; end of discussion.

I am getting really tired of the formula bashing. When you tell people how evil formula is, you condemn the mother as well. That really isn't ok. She is making the best choice she could for her and her family. That's her only job, to do what is right for her.

I read a blog about another young mom called Mommy, On Accident. She decided not to breastfeed, as is her right. She has written several posts about the shit she faces from the breastfeeding community. She reads all this stuff on the evils of formula, and I can imagine that it pisses her off to no end.

There is no way to be nice about condemning something if you are also condemning the user at the same time.

I am not saying that formula companies are not evil, they really tend to be, but the users of formula are doing the best they can, just like us breast feeders are. So please, can we stop bashing now. It's hurting people's feelings and that just is not cool.

<3>

2 comments:

  1. The judgement we face as mums - no matter what our age - is one of the hardest things to deal with. I'm with you - each to their own and we're all doing our best. Hurting people's feelings is definitely not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you girlfriend. I don't think any mama should be knocked for doing what she feels is the right thing for herself and her babe.

    The only concern I have is where do we draw the line? At what point do we stop and say "Look, I really don't want to hurt your feelings but I really think you should know this ..."?

    There are risks associated with formula feeding, you just have to google it to find the documentation - Should Mamas be informed, or should we tiptoe around the issue as to not hurt feelings? As a mother who has formula fed, it is hard to hear these truths but hearing it enabled me to make an informed decision the second time around.

    It's a tough one, it truly is
    x

    ReplyDelete