Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Osama bin Laden

Now that all the hype surrounding bin Laden has died down I feel like I can write about it. I know there was supposed to be a camping post, but I am writing this on my lunch break at work so I don't have access to my pictures.

The night that Osama bin Laden was killed was like any other night. I was just about to step into the shower when Pyscho Knight called up to me and said "BABE! Come here!" I went downstairs and he told me that bin Laden had been killed. I said "Great, it's about time." and sat down to watch the news report. I knew Obama would be speaking on it soon so I went and took my shower then came back down to watch our president address the nation. I wasn't expecting the news report that came after the address.

In that next report they showed all the people cheering in the streets and my stomach dropped. I will not argue that this man was horrible and deserved to be killed. I won't debate that it was necissary; although I have doubts about that too. What I will debate is that above all, a man was killed. There is NO reason to celebrate a murder the way a lot of Americans did. There were times that I cried becasue of everything that was going on.

It's scary to me because I know that there will likely be retaliation, which means more of our loved ones will die also. And more innocents will die. But more than anything it depresses me; it hurts my heart to think that we are no better than the people that paraded our dead soldiers bodies up and down the streets and celebrated.

That week I went on a media strike; I refused to watch then news, look at news sites, and anything about bin Laden that came up on my reader got "marked as read" before I even looked at it. I am just now starting to process all of this and deal with the anger it fills me with. PK and I had many conversations about how murder is not to be celebrated under any circumstance. It helped us both work through the anger and it was good to realize that we were on the same page and could support each other.

I try not to let things like this get to me, but sometimes you can't help but feel it.

Swt

1 comment:

  1. Yep! I agree! To me it is like messing with a hornets nest. We are going to be fucked in the ass for what we did I am sure.

    I love your blog by the way :)

    picklesinmyass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete